Focus and Catch – DIY Games for Dogs
Hello you lovely pet parent, you!
Being able to get our dogs to focus on us is the foundation to a good and healthy relationship.
If they don’t pay us no never mind (that was my best hillbilly accent) we’re always going to struggle with recall and anything else that involves them listening to us.
That’s why so many of these games are focused based – we need that look from them before we begin the fun.
That way they know the fun is because of us and if they listen to us good things happen.
‘Focus and Catch – Step by Step – Dog Games for Fun
Time for a bit of focus on us…
- Hold a treat out in front of you.
- Wait for your dog to look at you.
- When they look at you… Say ‘Yes!’ & throw them the treat to catch.
- Be just as encouraging if they drop treats… It’s their focus you want – not their catching skills!
- Gradually move further back so your dog is trying to catch from longer distances.
If they’re not very good at catching, try doing a pretend throw to show them where the treat will go – then throw for real.
If this is a struggle try the ‘Focus and Treat‘ game first.
Thank you to Ismo @ismo_thegizmo_sausage for being this week’s marvellously focussed assistant.
You can see more of them here: https://www.instagram.com/ismo_thegizmo_sausage/